Sunday, February 27, 2011

NSV

I just learned what an NSV is.  It's a "Non Scale Victory" on Weight Watchers.  And, I was happy to learn that I have had a NSV.  My rings are too big.  They keep slipping around and I have to constantly straighten them up.  Irritating? Yes.  Annoying? Yes.  Do I mind? That's a big ole NO!  Because as of this morning, I've lost 28 pounds since November 1, 2010.

I have to say that I am proud of myself.  My sister inspired me - she's lost 57 lbs, maybe even more than that since the last time I asked her.  I watched her having so much success and because I am so proud of her, I thought I'd give it a try. 

I'm so glad I did.  It's been one of the easiest things I've ever done.  I've learned some good habits.  I'm accountable to myself - something I never took seriously before, but I do now.  I have loved watching the scale go down and the number of lost pounds go up.  I feel confident that I can maintain.  I don't want to gain it all back.  I think about everything I put into my mouth - is it really worth it?  I find that it has been easy to avoid things.  I've found new snacks that I look forward to.  And, if I want a piece of cake, if my points for the day will allow it, I let myself have a piece, albeit a smaller piece that I would have gotten pre-WW.

I started out quietly, I didn't make it known that I was on WW.  I didn't want to fail.  As the pounds starting falling off, and it started showing in my face and the comments about my weight loss started, I started letting people know that it was WW.  2 other women I work with have now joined, and are having success.  One of our bosses lost 50 pounds (I didn't know it was WW while he was on it, just saw him saying no to all of the goodies in the office and exercising like a fiend.).

I've gone down one size, and really 2 if you count the fact that I was occasionally having to buy up a size because the scale had been going up.  I'm between sizes actually and can fit into the next smaller size, but right now, I wouldn't be seen in public wearing them just yet.  The NSV of being able to actually put them on and zip them up without difficulty is a great feeling.  I had to buy a new pair of blue jeans yesterday and I was able to buy them in the regular section of the store, not in the "Plus Sizes", and they weren't "Women's"  Now, that is a great feeling.  Clothes are so much cuter in the regular sizes.  I've lost 9 1/2 inches total.

I joined the gym, and have gone once.  I can't do a lot of the exercises because of the back surgery I had last summer.  I'm still having problems, and actually don't feel like the surgery made any difference other than the peace of mind to know that it won't get worse - it is locked in place with the rods and screws.  I am hopeful that it will get better as I get stronger.  So, my main plan is to swim, I did that the one time I was there, and swam for about 45 minutes, and really enjoyed it.  I've never actually been in a pool to swim seriously, and let me tell you, it was hard.  An Olympic size pool is huge!  I was really working out.  I'm walking 30 minutes on the treadmill three times a week now which I just started recently. I just finished 4 weeks of PT, and the Physical Therapist gave me a list of exercises that were okay and a list of things to avoid.  I accidentally washed that list when I did laundry that night, oops.  So Chris, who is also going to PT for a knee injury, is going to get me a new list next time he goes.

We are quiet the gimped up couple! He's got at least 8 more weeks of PT to go.

I think adding the exercise is going to help a lot.  It's nice to have the energy to be able to exercise.

So, yes, this was totally a bragging post, but I think I deserve it.

No comments: