Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Thinking of Ronda

Just a few days ago, I learned Ronda, my friend of 30 years is dying of pancreatic cancer. She is in an end of life facility in Tulsa, Oklahoma. I've been trying to recall when it was that I last saw her. I remember the day I saw her, I just don't remember the year.

My friend Eron and I had been trying to find her because we'd lost touch for a while. We tracked her down and when I visited Tulsa, Eron and I took a trip down the Indian Nation Turnpike and made a visit to her. We had a great time.

I guess in the back of my mind, I've always thought there was plenty of time for reunions, visits, emails, Facebook, chat... but turns out there isn't. The end of life facility, the Clarehouse, only accepts guests (it is free of charge) who are enrolled in a hospice program and have a prognosis of less than one month to live. She's been in the Clarehouse about two weeks.

I called today, but she isn't able to talk on the phone. I left a message, to let her know that I called and that I love her and am thinking about her. They assured me that they would pass it on to her.

Eron is going to try to see her within the next few days. She said she would definitely give her the message.

She is foremost in my thoughts ever since I heard the news. I'm praying that she is not suffering and that the medications are allowing her some measure of comfort.

No comments: