So, referring back to my post To bx or not to bx in August of 2009 - after a lot of consideration, I decided to not do the lung biopsy and just follow the protocol of having CT scans of my chest for 2 years. They stretched the frequency back from 3 months to 6 months, and then out to a year.
I had my last CT about two weeks ago and went for the results on Thursday. I got a little nervous just from the doctor's mannerism, and then his statement "this was supposed to have been your last CT", and I felt my stomach flip. I told myself to concentrate on what he was saying. He said there are changes on the CT, the nodule has enlarged and is irregular in shape. He told me I need to have it excised, but that I need to have a PET scan first.
I associate PET scans with cancer.
I managed to ask some semi-intelligent questions. I managed not to fall apart. I did start shaking as soon as the doctor left the room to get the PET scan scheduled. I texted Chris, then we talked. He is concerned of course, and now we are both ready to move on, get it done, but as with all things medical, you have to WAIT. I have to wait a week to have the PET scan, then wait a week to see the doctor for the results, and then I have to wait for the surgery to be scheduled and then I have to wait for biopsy results.
My parents and family and friends are all obviously concerned.
Even though I have to wait - I do have some things on my side, other than God who has me in his hands, I work for 3 wonderful cardiothoracic surgeons. 2 of them went to the hospital that same day and personally reviewed my CT scans, and discussed them with the radiologist and the pulmonologist. All 4 agree that the nodule has to come out.
I feel so much better though now knowing what their line of thought is - the edges of the nodule are ill defined and it is very difficult to compare and say with certainty that it has remained stable. They are unable to feel confident that they are comparing the same slices. So, their recommendation is biopsy. The question has been answered - yes I will biopsy. They also all four feel that it has a very low chance that it is malignant - but we need to have an answer one way or another.
The Queen of Lungs is doing my surgery. That's what my friend who is the director of the cardiac services line at the hospital where I will have my surgery calls her. She's called the Queen because SHE.IS.THE.BEST. I'm so blessed to have her as a boss, and as my surgeon. I feel totally confident and comfortable.
The pulmonologist had told me that I would need to have a thoracotomy which is open lung surgery and a couple of days in the hospital. After reviewing the CT, my boss says she can do a VATS (video assisted thoracic surgery) with a wedge resection. It's less invasive and should only need one night in the hospital.
So, that's the plan. I have an answer to the question about whether or not to biopsy, so now it's just going through the motions to get to the final answer to the puzzle.
No comments:
Post a Comment