Thursday, December 6, 2007

Buzzards

Yesterday, just before we were leaving my brother's house to go to the American Girl Boutique, I heard my brother call out to his wife that the buzzards were back. I was walking into the room about that time, so I looked out the window and could see the buzzards circling over the trees across the street.

Growing up in the country, buzzards are a common sight. My brother lives in a nice subdivision, but it is still undeveloped in some parts, so there is a large wooded area.

I commented, well, somethings dead then. He said, no they show up in large numbers every other year or so and roost there for a while. Bene' said it is cool to go out there and make a noise and watch them all fly away at once. I said, well, when they circle like that, there is usually something dead.

I hear a small voice "Daddy, they're circling, they're circling." I notice my 5 year old niece Anna Grace at the window staring across the street at the buzzards. So, my brother says to her, "There's nothing dead, they just fly that way."

Her response, "Well, how do they ever get anywhere?"

I could barely contain my laughter. I don't even remember his response to her.

No comments: