Sunday, December 30, 2007

Reflection

Reflecting on the past year, my life has seen a lot of changes. Having been recently divorced, I had moved to a new town. I was living in a rented duplex, and hating it. I had never hated anywhere that I lived. I hated hearing the grandmother next door yelling at her 13 year old grandson who lived with her and telling him what a bad kid he was. Every single time I talked to him, he was respectful and polite. He is really a good kid. The last time I talked to him before moving, I told him that he is a good kid and for him not to forget that, and never let anyone make him think otherwise.

I hated the constant flow of traffic in and out of our little parking area that we shared with the duplex next to us. I wondered if drugs were being dealt out of that apartment. I hated having to get out of my car and moved the toys the neighbor kids left strown everywhere just so I could park my car. I hated it when I would get home and someone would be parked in my spot. I hated the feeling like I was living in a hotel room, I never quite settled in. I kept telling myself it would only be a year.

Everywhere I drove, I looked at the For Sale signs, dreaming of finding my new home. Chris and I would drive around on the weekends looking at land, or homes in the country. I really didn't want to live in a subdivision. I think living in that duplex was making me claustrophobic. The county I live in borders a larger town (where I work downtown), so this county is growing like crazy. So many places for sale, but nothing seemed right. I found some land that I liked, and thought I could build a house, then we looked at the prices. $10,000 - $15,000 an acre, and even $26,000 for a portion of an acre! But, we kept looking. A friend in real estate told me I should go look at a new subdivision, I kept resisting, I told her cookie cutter subdivisions aren't for me. She kept after me, so one Saturday, Chris and I went to eat breakfast and headed to look at the subdivision. We passed a subdivision I hadn't really noticed before. We turned in and I fell in love with the subdivision. The houses were nice, and the lots were large enough that everyone isn't right on top of each other.

We came around a curve and I found my house! It turned out to be the best lot in the entire subdivision. It was a for sale by owner, I called the number, spoke to Bob who told me we could come at 3:30 that afternoon, they had someone else coming at 3:00.

So we made the appointment, and then drove on to the subdivision we started out to explore. Hated it! We waited anxiously for the appointmend time. The other people were still there, so we had to wait about 15 minutes.

When I walked in, I was even more convinced this was the place for me, for us. They even had some of the same furniture I had when I was married, even the same clock on the wall. Before we left, I told Chris I wanted it. He liked it too. He said for us to go home and talk about it. After about 20 minutes of discussion, we decided I should make an offer. When I called, Bob told me the people before us had already made an offer. I was crushed. He didn't know what the offer was, but was going to stop by their agent and pick up the offer and he would call me and let me know. I already knew what I was approved for at the bank. So, when he told me, I beat their offer. He accepted mine on the phone!

Everything went so smoothly with the loan, the home inspection, the whole process. The closing was so easy, even pleasant. Moving didn't seem hard at all. My landlord let me out of my lease 4 months early with no penalty.

So, in April, on Good Friday, I moved into my new home!

In July, Chris moved in.

We told both sets of parents who weren't thrilled because we aren't married, but they are sincerely happy for us and understand. They visit fairly frequently, our relationship with boths sets of parents remains close. We've formed a new family unit. Our parents now enjoy spending time with the other's parents, we've all gone out to dinner together and have enjoyed celebrating events together.

I've formed new friends through Chris, and he has formed new friends through me.

I've begun to get comfortable in my new life post-divorce. I love Chris with all of my heart, I am happier than I have ever been.

So, reflecting on my life over the past year, it has been a good one, a happy one, and I look forward to life getting happier and happier. So, even with all of the emotional changes, I wouldn't change the past year for anything.

No comments: