Sunday, April 11, 2010

Holding pattern

So, Monday rolled around, after a bad day on Sunday. As soon as I opened my eyes, I knew something was wrong. I didn't see Willy, but still, I knew. I found him on the floor at the end of the bed. One glance and I knew he'd had a relapse. So, the entire day was spent with me hovering and trying to maintain a balance between trying to get him to eat and drink and to let him rest.

He would eat some, he drank some. He'd get up and go to his water bowl and just sort of tip it and end up kinda lying in it. His breathing was labored, and his eyes showed just how crappy he was feeling.

Finally, in the evening, he started to perk up a little.

I fed him at 11, and we picked up all of the food at midnight.

We loaded him up and I dropped him off at the vet at 7:30 for his surgery. A couple of hours later, I got a call from the vet's office. I was expecting the "he did great" speech, but got the "we couldn't do his surgery because his PCV level was too low" speech.

So, we're in a holding pattern. He's on Doxycycline and Prednisone for two weeks. He gets a blood level drawn on the 19th and if it's good then we will schedule the surgery for a few days later. He has to be off the Prednisone a few days before he can have anesthesia.

He's responded great to the medications. One more week and we see where we stand.

No comments: