With riding, camping is almost a given. Something about freedom. Now, I get the concept, but those who know me know that I like my comforts. I'm getting a tad nervous, because apparently Chris is serious about the camping.We made a trip to Wal-Mart, and he found the tent he wanted. I walked over to the air mattresses. He asked me if I was serious. I said, yes, if I'm going to camp, then there will be an air mattress involved.
I asked about the handy dandy pump that they were selling so conveniently next to the mattresses, and I was told that the Ural came with a bicycle pump. I asked how long it would take to get it pumped up with that. I received a vague answer, but okay - he knows what's what.
So, after we get back from the ride, he decides to pitch the tent. An hour and a half later, he comes back inside. He said "Tent, 10 minutes, air mattress an hour, plus". He was planning to camp in the backyard. He asked if I was going to join him. I told him, nope, it still wasn't warm enough in my book for camping.
This morning, he was grateful for the air mattress, is planning on buying that pump we discussed and thoroughly enjoyed sleeping outside.
He's been researching state parks and campgrounds. Did my life just change?
3 comments:
A re-commentary from Chris,
Yes, with riding a Ural comes camping.
Yes, the air mattress was pleasant and welcomed. The best part is that it was Her idea! She made the suggestion, a good one, and one that I happily complied with. Isn’t it a rule or something that if you suggest an item for you to use with someone else, it is sorta like agreeing to use the item with someone else? I think so. I think I read it in the “Boyfriend-Girlfriend Relationship Management Rule Book, Volume 2, Unabridged.” I had decided I was going to use Her air mattress idea – inflated or not.
Yes, there is some sort of high-volume pump in the immediate future. But maybe I can fabricate my own out of some large bore PVC scraps and a few thick o-rings – gotta put on my inventor’s cap.
Yes, in the era of Anthropogenic Global Warming it will be warm enough at night within the next few weeks to start practicing – setting up camp, cooking on an open fire, bathing using a black hefty bag and a sponge, and all the adventurous sundries that come with “primitive camping.” Wasn’t Blondie a girl scout or something in her formative years? I think I will avoid the whole trench latrine thing until she gets the basics down pat.
Yes, I did just buy a sleeping bag for my own use. Now Blondie can have her own. The one I used the other night was really her sleeping bag. She had only been using it to keep her tootsies warm in the hack. Two people, two bags. Things are coming together.
Yes, www.hundreds_of_parks_and_campgrounds_to_enjoy_while_Uraling is a real website.
Chris
The Coleman pump for air mattresses is fast and it helps deflate the mattress faster, too.
http://www.gastateparks.org
If you are going to do this much, joining Friends of GA State Parks is a big money saver.
http://friendsofgastateparks.org/
Victoria Bryant is a good state park to ease into camping. The sites have power, water, and a covered place for your tent.
Black Rock Mountain is nice, too. The spaces are big and there is a bathroom/shower/Laundry convenience station near the campsites.
Do it yourself fun that involves fire:
http://zenstoves.net/
Chris - I want to see that Rule book...
Hassel - thanks for the info (I think), well, Chris at least thanks you.
Post a Comment