His route included dirt roads, and twisted and turned and eventually, we wound up at our destination - 4 hours after we headed out. It was worth the drive. It is beautiful country. We were planning on eating at the restaurant, but arrived 15 minutes too late. It was 2:15 and they didn't open back up until 4:30 and we were starving. One of the ladies pointed us several restaurants - they all closed at 2:30 though... So, a 4 hour drive and we ate at Huddle House. It was the only place we could find open. We were so hungry though, that we thoroughly enjoyed it.
These are some random photos from the trip.
1 comment:
After getting a wink and a nod, coupled with the innocent comment of, “I updated my blog,” I decided to see what Blondie put in her blog. I had a bit of a suspicion that she may have disclosed some of her more personal feelings about out Ural outing that she didn’t pronounce at the time.
Hmm, yes, it was a 4 hour one way trip to Montezuma. We only had to backtrack for about a mile throughout the entire trek there – Jones County needs some rural road signs. The “most direct path avoiding the metropolis of Macon and Warner Robins” included nearly 30 turns, all categories of roadways except those beginning with an “I”, and one sterling example of back road named Georgia Kaolin Road – a multilevel single lane twisty path that had an “Oh my gosh” two foot deep washout in a blind corner. It was more like a two lane 4-wheeler path without a median. Great fun!
I think Blondie enjoyed the ride, to a degree. We suited up with one of my Christmas presents – an intercom and FM radio headset system. She did due diligence trying to find a radio station for some pleasant tunes but it was fraught with “in the middle of nowhere” signal strength. Mostly we just used the intercom, with a random voice operated microphone threshold, to yell back and forth when there was something looky-looky to see. The rest of the time we listened to static, Blondie sniffling (which it transmitted perfectly), and engine feedback.
We really need to work on better mounting of her earpiece so she can hear better – a project before the next outing, in oh… 7 to 9 days.
It is fun to have a captive monkey in the hack for my monologs on fertilizer options I have researched for the lawn.
The return trip from Montezuma, after feasting at the Huddle House, and waiting on the Ford Jubilee to refuel at the gas station in the crotch of the road, was otherwise uneventful, but likewise quite pleasant. The return was mostly via Georgia Highway 49 and took only about an hour and a half.
Hmm, if we had taken that route southbound, we could have dined at Yoder’s. But then, we would have missed the log cabin house on the concrete slab, a few Jerry Springer contestants at the several “Gas & Chew” convenience shacks, and the thrilling kaolin road adventure.
I had a really good time, and I think she had a passably pleasant time. It was however odd that after sharing the day together out adventuring, she slept in the king sized bed, and I slept outside – but that is a whole other post.
Chris
Post a Comment